Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grocery shopping and a very long day *Recipes at the end*

My Dad-in-law and brother-in-law came into town today. They wanted to take us all out to dinner tonight. And while that wounds great, my diet would SO not appreciate that! I remember what happened last time Dad was here, I gain like 30 lbs in a week (or so it seemed) So I decided I'm going to cook!! I made sloppy joes from scratch! No stuff from a can here:) It tasted so good!


But we didn't have ANYTHING to eat here, so we went shopping. Of course since I needed the car, we all had to wake up at 5:30 this morning. And While V got a small nap in, Ava did not. Neither did I. Long day. But.....Before we started our day of shopping, I mopped and cleaned the kitchen, again. I know I said that I cleaned it just the other day, but it needed a good scrub down again. I threw a load of diapers in the wash, and put V down for a nap.


I took the kids (by myself while Dad and bro slept) to the natural store. We bought some grocery stuff and some snacks:) . It was pretty good! I also bought a pack of diapers, gPants! The package has two in it for 25 bucks. Not too shabby if you ask me! One is a darker blue, plain, and the other is a lighter blue with a cute pattern on it. I bought some spices, quinoa, broccoli, carrots, cereal, prenatal vitamins (since I'm nursing), some bean chips, and salsa. I'm sure I got a few more things, but off the top of my head, I really can't remember.


We came home, had some lunch and then we all went to walmart (aside from Rob since he was at work still). We got a crib mattress on sale! 38 bucks! I'm so happy about that!!! V is quickly outgrowing his bassinet:( *sad panda* Well we got yogurt, beans (still from a can because I still am having some problems knocking those out, but it WILL happen!!), milk, bread, beef, roast (for my Italian sandwiches I'm making tomorrow), kale (making kale crisp, so good), spinach, lettuce, chicken, sour cream, cottage cheese, some drink mixes (without tons of sugar. Alas, it's the only way I can really get Ava to actually drink enough water through out the day), vinegar, and of course some more that I can't think of off the top of my head.


All in all, NOT counting the mattress and the diapers, for the month we only spent 220! I think that's a good day right there. But by the time I was done shopping, it was time to pick up Rob from work. Well or so I thought. I get there and we wait for one whole stink in hour! Needless to say, very long day. But if you read below, I'll post my recipe for the sloppy joes I made, and also the kale crisp.


Sloppy joes:
Ground beef (I used a pound)
Tomato sauce (I used half a can)
Tomato paste (I eyeballed it)
Garlic
Salt and papper
Half an onion
Green bell pepper
Just a bit of brown sugar (I think I put in close to 1/4 a cup, but I just eyeballed that too)
And last, a bit of soy sauce.

I cooked all of this together and let it marry in the pan and kind of reduce a little bit. Then I put it on top of some ciabatta bread. YUMMY!!


Kale crisp:
Kale rinsed and dried thoroughly
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Heat the oven to 350 degree F. Rinse and dry your kale, and cut it to the desired size. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake it for about 15 mins. Be sure NOT to over bake it as it will become bitter. Nobody wants a bitter kale crisp. The finished snack is very healthy for you, and will taste somewhat like a potato chip. I really hope that you enjoy these two recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment